Who stole the Mojave Desert Cross that was erected as a memorial to fallen U.S. soldiers? That’s the question many have pondered once they learned about this latest theft. Some are wondering if it’s related to the ongoing legal dispute about the removal of the cross or if metal scavengers are the culprits.
Here’s more from Yahoo News:
“The 7-foot-high metal cross vanished from its perch in the Mojave National Preserve late Sunday or early Monday, said National Park Service spokeswoman Linda Slater. Bolts holding it to the rock were cut.
Slater said possible scenarios ranged from people “with an interest in the case” to metal scavengers. The U.S. Justice Department was looking into the case.
The cross has been the center of a legal dispute for about a decade since a complaint by a former park service employee represented by the ACLU.
On a 5-4 vote in April, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to order its removal. The high court told a federal judge to take a new look at a congressional plan to transfer land under the cross to private ownership.
The theft was discovered when workers went to replace a plywood cover that was placed over the cross years ago pending resolution of the case and had been torn off during the weekend.
The isolated site in the 1.6 million-acre preserve is a small rise amid Joshua trees along a road far off busy Interstate 15, about 200 miles northeast of Los Angeles and 70 miles south of Las Vegas.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars first placed a wooden cross on Sunrise Rock in 1934 to honor soldiers killed in World War I.
The metal cross that was stolen was erected in the late 1990s by the memorial’s longtime caretakers, Henry and Wanda Sandoz of Yucca Valley.
Liberty Institute, an organization representing the Sandozes and veterans groups, offered a $25,000 reward for information leading to an arrest or conviction.
Wanda Sandoz said the cross had been vandalized in the past, but such instances had become rarer since her husband bolted it down.
“I was really upset and I was crying, and I said: ‘Well, we’ll show them. We’ll put up a bigger one and a better one,” she said. “And Henry said: ‘No we won’t. We will put one up exactly like the veterans put up.'”
The VFW also promised that the memorial will be rebuilt.
“This was a legal fight that a vandal just made personal to 50 million veterans, military personnel and their families,” National Commander Thomas J. Tradewell said.
It was not immediately clear, however, whether a replacement cross would be permitted.”(End of Excerpt) Read the whole article here.